Madan Kamdev in Baihata Chariali, Kamrup, Assam dates back to the 9th and 10th century AD. Excavation and ruins here show the prosperity and might of Pala dynasty of Kamarupa. The ruins of Madan Kamdev are scattered widely in a secluded place, covering 500 meters. Uma Maheshwar's embraced idols, carved on the stones of medieval temples, can be seen here. The most prominent statues are of the Sun, Ganesha, and Vidyadhara.
Archaeologists differed on the issue of when and who constructed these temples. However, Captain Daltan's writings in 1855 about 15 temple ruins found around the Silsako Bridge (a historical bridge destroyed in the 1897 Assam earthquake), might have referred to Madan Kamdev. These were published in Daltan's Asian Society of Bengal magazine (1855).
In 1977, the Archaeological Directorate of Assam started the excavations of the statues. In addition to the main temple, his team found ruins of 12 more temples. Analysis of the temples and the idols engraved on the walls led them to conclude these were constructed from the 10th century to the 12th century. It was suggested that Kamarupa kings of Pala dynasty, namely Ratna Pala, Indra Pala and Go Pala, ordered the construction of these temples.
Statues of Bhairav with six heads, a four-headed Shiva, Kalpavriksha, Sun various Apsara, Vishnu with six heads, Saraswati and various other statues of animals have been identified as being from here.
Madan-Kamdev is the main temple, with ruins of other huge and small temples scattered around it. Representatives of the Architectural Directorate believe that excavation may reveal an additional twelve temples. Near Madan Kamdev, an old temple of Lord Shiva, known here as Gopeshwar, is located in the village of Deuduar. Nearby is a large cave is known as Parvati Guha (Parvati Cave), after his consort.